1.05.2011

Some African Jewelry arrives at my doorstep

One of the things I've always loved about Conakry is that if you wait long enough, everything you need will eventually pass by your doorstep. On my first trip I was in Boulbinet, in the center of the city, and it seemed that every time I asked about something, I was told, "Just wait, it will be here soon." And lo and behold, eventually the tailor, the cloth merchant, and a dozen other things eventually stopped by and had what I needed. Well, I'm not in Boulbinet anymore, but I have been here enough to know some of the people who have what I need, and here it is! Amahma, my friend from Boulbinet, returned yesterday with the jewelry he made for me, and a couple of belts as well. If anyone sees something they want me to bring back for them, let me know, or I can always request other items.

I do realize now that the pink blanket was not a good choice of background at all - I should have gone with the blue one!

Here is a leather belt:

A fishbone necklace:

A cloth belt with beads on the ends

A beaded necklace - kind of a brown/amber color

One Love Continent necklaces - the picture shows the front and the back of the necklace

A beaded necklace with fishbone - the center bone has a circular design on it. These are in brown tones.

Another necklace with fishbone and beads, and the bigger bead has a cool design. these fishbones are tipped with green. I think this is really pretty.

Beaded necklace in brown.

Bountou - Yetou and Bountou have been taking pictures of each other!

Here is Brad-Abou with our wonderful neighbor, Maimouna Diallo - she is a sociologist who lives across the street from us, and she stops by to chat everyday.

Isiaga - THE ASSISTANT! This is a great boy who is a friend of Aly's little brother Fiston. Isiaga lives with Aly's mom's family, and I call him the assistant because he is like his mom's assistant. I could also call him the Replacement, because it is kind of like he replaced Fiston - so his mom didn't lose a son at all when Fiston came to the U.S., she gained an assistant!

2 comments:

  1. African jewellery is a souvenir one should definitely take back home from Guinea. Surely You will get almost everything you desire for after taking a cheap flight to Conakry for spending one outrageous holiday trip with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umrah Experts UK is a prime travel agency all over the United Kingdom and provides the low cost Hajj and Umrah Packages for the Muslim Ummah of London, Manchester, Birmingham, and Bradford.

    ReplyDelete